Thursday, November 20, 2014

How I Travel Abroad at Least Once a Year…On a Budget ;-)



So I’m back from my #Almost30 #Solotrip (those were my hashtags on the Gram :-)). I’m contemplating where to go next so I thought I’d walk you through how I prepare for my annual trip.

Step 1: From Ground Zero, there’s nowhere to go but up. I’ve got bills to pay and I live in the most expensive city EVER so it’s time to get my bearings before I start searching on Kayak. At this point I start thinking about who I may want to invite (if anyone!)

Step 2: After I know that I am in the clear, I start putting a reasonable amount into a separate, middle account each pay period. If you can afford it, $200-$400 per month is ideal. This will cover your airline ticket, food and activities.

Step 3: After I save about $800, I start looking for flights. I have found the cheapest flights from February to Early April and Mid-September to Early November to most places. I put all kinds of places into Kayak.com with flexible dates and wait to see what happens.

Step 4: Book your ticket. Give yourself 4 additional months to keep saving the amount you initially designated. The purchased ticket will keep you on the Saving Train to be sure that you can afford to have a good time. Amp up the amount if you can!

Step 5: Book your hotel/hostel/couch. I really like Booking.com because you can cancel most places without a fee, BUT make sure you cross-reference with other sites like Tripadvisor for additional reviews. Check out the actual traveler photos.

Step 6: Book excursions and activities. Tripadvisor is CLUTCH for this.


Step 7: Get on that plane and have the best time ever!


Granada Spain, 2013

1 comment: